Sunday, February 10, 2013

All Healthy Everything!

So I get in moods where I just feel like baking...and today just so happened to be one of those days! However, since I've started this quest for a healthier lifestyle I wasn't about to ruin it by making a red velvet cake (even though I make a pretty bomb one). So I decided to make a healthier version of banana bread! I combined several different recipes so feel free to tweak it how you see fit. I think next time I my add a little more honey and cinnamon to make it a tad bit sweeter. I may also try to add applesauce as that would also add some extra sweetness. All in all it turned out good and I would make them again! Be prepared though, since the recipe calls for coconut flour the consistency is different then if it were made with regular flour. 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
3/4 cup mashed banana (make sure it is very ripe)
4 eggs
1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup almond milk or coconut milk
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 a Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Optional items I added:
1/2 cup whole oats
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup chopped walnuts





Step 1. Mash your bananas!


2. Combine all wet ingredients (Eggs, vanilla extract, almond milk, banana's, etc) Stir! 
**Be aware, once you add the coconut oil it starts to get hard again so work fast!

3. Add all other ingredients....(As you can see from the picture below I just added everything together at once and then stirred it. I really dont think it matters whether you do this or not).


4. Once all of your ingredients are mixed and ready to go spray your pan or muffin tin with non stick cooking spray and evenly distribute the mixture. (3/4 full if using muffin tin pan)

5. Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye on them because its easy to overcook. Once they are done let them cool and enjoy! Store the remainder in the refrigerator as they tend to spoil easily at room temperature. You have now made a healthier version of banana bread/muffins! 



*The recipe is pretty good! A great alternative to regular banana bread. I will definitely be enjoying mine this week! :) Hope you do as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment