Tuesday, April 23, 2013

No Diets...No, No, No...


Let me make something clear, I am NOT on a diet. I am not on supplements and I am not following any particular nutrition plan. Recently, alot of people have been asking me what I have been doing to lose weight and maintain my fitness. So I figured I would write a post about my daily meals for those that are curious or interested. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a trainer, nutritionist, or anything of the sort. I'm merely a regular girl who has tried EVERY diet under the sun and finally found a system that works for me! So lets get started!

I am a foodie and I love food! So I am not the type of person who can just eat the same thing every single day. I try to mix it up and make each of my meals different throughout the week. I think that's why alot of diets and meal plans never worked for me. I need to have the freedom to eat what I want. Whether it be a shake, fruit, or waffles! The main thing I have learned throughout this journey is finding ways to make healthier versions of my favorite foods. For example, I love cheeseburgers and french fries. In my fat days McDonald's and I were very close friends lol...So in order to satisfy my craving for a cheese burger and fries I have gotten creative. I generally throw a turkey burger on the grill along with grilled onions, and mushrooms with lowfat/vegan cheese on top.  I then place it between two huge pieces of lettuce with tomato and there you go, my healthier version of a cheeseburger! :) I also cut up a sweet potato, bake it in the oven, sprinkle with garlic salt and enjoy some fries with my meal. It's all about finding something that works for you.

 As long as you are primarily eating veggies, fruits, proteins, and whole grains you will start to look and feel better. I avoid fried foods and instead bake and grill everything! Cream sauces generally are a no no, so instead I use good fats such as avocado, salsa, and fresh tomato sauces instead. I'm lactose intolerant so I was never big on dairy in the first place. My primary staple now is almond milk! I use it in alot of my cooking, and it is fantastic and low cal! As far as carbs go, I LOVE pasta and bread so instead of completely eliminating them I have found healthier alternatives. I love tofu shirataki noodles instead of pasta. One serving is only 20 calories and is a great alternative to pasta! I also love using veggies such as spaghetti squash as a base. I have removed white bread from my diet completely and instead eat wheat. I LOVE Ezekial bread, which comes in different flavors such as cinnamon raisin, sesame, and wheat bread. It is gluten free and super good for you! Below is a sample menu of what I eat in a day.

Breakfast:

During the week when I don't feel like making something I will whip up a quick protein shake. My favorite is the Super Advanced Whey Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor. I blend one scoop of protein with a frozen banana and cup of almond milk. It is honestly delicious and tastes like a milk shake! lol....Oh, I also take a women's multi vitamin in the morning to ensure that I am receiving all of the nutrients and vitamins my body needs! (Multi Vitamin not pictured)

Snack #1...


Two hours after breakfast I grab a fruit for snack such as an apple. My favorite is Gala apples. I always have a grip of them on deck at the house ready for snack time!

Lunch:


Usually my largest meal of the day. I will generally have one of my pre-prepared meals from the week, or a salad like the one above filled with tons of veggies and grilled chicken. I don't use salad dressing because I love the flavor without it and for me the avocado adds a creamy consistency and works instead.

Snack #2
For my second snack of the day I grab trail mix, a granola bar, or some whole wheat crackers and almond butter to keep me going till dinner.

Snack #3


Because of my crazy work schedule I often don't have dinner until 7:00pm. With that being said after snack #2 I start to get hungry again! That's when I break out more fruit to give me a boost. I am currently obsessed with "Cuties" the mini tangerines. They seriously taste like candy to me lol...

Dinner


Depending on when I get home I will usually cook something for dinner or eat one of my pre-prepared meals like the one above consisting of sauteed garlic chicken breast, broccoli, and asparagus with grilled onions and mushrooms! Yum!

Desert/Late Night Snack:
When I workout late I often get hungry AGAIN. In cases like these I try to grab some fruit or a granola bar depending on how late it is. If it's right before bed I try to tough it out by drinking a bottle of water and going to bed. 

Like I said, this is just an example of what I eat during a regular day. I try to switch it up so that I don't get tired of the same things and have tons of snacks and food options lying around my house so that I don't get tempted to eat something bad! I have been eating like this since January and it has been working for me. This along with regular exercise has helped me to lose 27lbs so far. I don't count calories and instead focus on eating healthy balanced meals with as many fruits and vegetables as possible. I feel alot better and have more energy. Eating like this won't work for everyone. I suggest that you experiment with different types of foods and find something that works for you and your body. I would love to hear about other peoples daily meals. What's on your plate?






No comments:

Post a Comment